A downloadable game for Windows
This is an itch.io exclusive PC release of my first commercial game, from way back in 2011. I've learned a lot since then, but this game has a special place in my heart because despite taking less than a month to develop, it did well enough to get me started on my path to doing game dev professionally.
There are a lot of tributes to the platformers of the NES and SNES era, but not that many which go all the way back to the very earliest Game Boy and NES games. AWESOME Land has no vertical scrolling, and you can't even scroll backwards! WHAT?! Plus it's all presented in a quirky 'pixel cutout collage' art style.
AWESOME Land was made with Clickteam Fusion (Sorry about that) in 2011.
Original description from 2011:
This retro platform game pays tribute to and parodies classic platform games, in style!
Manley's motorcycle has been stolen by evil aliens! It's up to you to help him kick some alien hide and claim it back in this incredible parody of the great platform games of the past!
Venture into a twisted version of the Nevada Desert! Discover alien bases! Stamp on monsters with your massive biker boots! Weave between furious flamethrowers! Munch on meat... from the walls!
- 25 amazing, challenging levels!
- Unique HD retro "photorealistic pixels" art style
- Beastly bosses!
- Silky smooth platform engine
- Rocking soundtrack!
Do you have what it takes to save Manley's bike, or will you be hitchhiking home?
Please use an XInput compatible controller if possible! The layout here is based on an Xbox pad, but other XInput pads will also work.
- [A] Jump.
- [X] Run.
- [Start/Menu] Pause.
- Use the [Esc] key at any time to quit to desktop.
You can also play with the keyboard if you absolutely must... But I don't recommend it! You can use WSAD or the arrow keys, and Z/X or Shift/Space for run/jump respectively.
- I made AWESOME Land back in 2011 for iOS and later released an Android port. I had been making games as a hobby since I was about 10 years old, but this was my first proper commercial game. This PC port was done almost 10 years later.
- The mobile version only had buttons for left, right and jump. Since it used virtual buttons, I found it better to have as few buttons as possible. For this PC version I added the run button for varying speed. The mobile version had slow acceleration, Sonic style, so the player could still move slowly and precisely when they needed to. The run speed on PC matches the top speed of the original mobile version, but acceleration is faster.
- The name was originally "Super Manley Land", but was changed to AWESOME Land purely because of the design of the iOS App Store at the time! Back when this first released, there was a "New Releases" tab which... get this... arranged new releases in alphabetical order. So using a name beginning with A was the best way to get noticed. Some devs even released games with names like "AAAAAAAH Scary Game". It was pretty ridiculous, frankly!
- You can't scroll to the left in this game. It wasn't a limitation of the engine, I genuinely wanted to pay tribute to the very first Super Mario Bros. on NES and Super Mario Land on Game Boy. Single-axis scrolling and once you've passed something you can't go back and get it! It actually makes you have to think a little more when trying to grab certain 1ups and things.
|Release date||Jan 17, 2012|
|Made with||Multimedia Fusion, Clickteam Fusion|
|Tags||2D, clickteam-fusion, Colorful, Game Boy, Pixel Art, Retro, Short, Singleplayer|
|Average session||A few seconds|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Xbox controller|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
⡴⠑⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣀⣤⣤⣤⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠸⡇⠀⠿⡀⠀⠀⠀⣀⡴⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣦⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠑⢄⣠⠾⠁⣀⣄⡈⠙⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡀⠁⠀⠀⠈⠙⠛⠂⠈⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⡿⢿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⢀⡾⣁⣀⠀⠴⠂⠙⣗⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⠭⢤⣴⣦⣤⣹⠀⠀⠀⢀⢴⣶⣆ ⠀⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣷⣮⣽⣾⣿⣥⣴⣿⣿⡿⢂⠔⢚⡿⢿⣿⣦⣴⣾⠁⠸⣼⡿ ⠀⢀⡞⠁⠙⠻⠿⠟⠉⠀⠛⢹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣌⢤⣼⣿⣾⣿⡟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⣾⣷⣶⠇⠀⠀⣤⣄⣀⡀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠉⠈⠉⠀⠀⢦⡈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣶⣶⣶⣶⣤⣽⡹⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠲⣽⡻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣜⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣷⣶⣮⣭⣽⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣀⣈⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠟⠁⠀
Fun game, even if a bit repetitive.
Are the frog enemies a reference to Freddie the Frog (also, am I the only who even remembers Freddie the Frog)?
They are indeed! There is also a Freddie reference in my newest game, Spectacular Sparky :D I made Freddie way back in the day, and am working on a remake! I always love bumping into people who remember that game!
Guess I have another reason to play Sparky some day, then. Can't wait to play the FtF remake too. How often do you bump into someone who remembers it, anyway?
Also, if you want to know where I originally got FtF from, it was on one of those '100 best games' CDs that included, among other things, Donkey Kong and Mario fangames. Can't help but wonder how legal THAT was. If you want to see it for yourself for some reason, it's on the Internet Archive under the name '100 maailman parasta peliä'. It's only in Finnish, though, so good luck with that.
Amazing! Thank you. Yeah I remember Freddie showed up on a lot of those, I was pretty happy about it at the time, heh! I bump into people occasionally online, but it's mostly people I stayed in touch with from old forums etc. who remember it. I know that DingDongVG remembers it and occasionally brings it up in a stream. I'm not sure when the Freddie remake will come out, but it's really cool talking about it so here are some of the preview screens/concept images!
Looks good! I really like the colors you use in your games.
Hiii, I've made a video about the game ^^ I hope you like it and if you want to subscribe that would be awesome :D
By the way I loved the fun facts you have explained hahaha :D
I featured this game in my video - 16:52 -
Thanks for sharing! In answer to your question in the video, the game was originally released in 2012 on mobile, the PC port was made and released on Itch in 2021.
great game!! Really Nostalgic!! XDD UwU